Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Big Push - July 5

We have had a few big pushes the past few weeks... Pappy 12 had one more than Best Wife. Last Sunday we had 53 miles to hike to Daleville, VA where a Super 8, grocery store and restaurants are very close to the trail at VA route 220. 

I figured an 8 mile day Sunday afternoon and three 15s would do it. This stretch would take us past Dragons Tooth (picture below), McAfee Knob (picture below), and Tinker Cliffs (socked in by clouds). We hiked 10 miles the first day. Then finished 15.4 tough miles over rock climbs on either side of Dragons Tooth at 8:30 p.m.  

For some reason we don't understand, the next day it took us 10 hours to hike 12 miles. McAfee Knob (at mile 11.5) is a very popular rock jutting out over the valley below. There were 80 or 90 day hikers all over the knob that afternoon. As we were hiking up to the knob in the rain, all 80 or 90 were hiking down to get out of the rain. At about 6:00 p.m. as we pulled on to the knob, the rain had stopped and two folks were just leaving. I asked how many were still there. They said nobody. Everybody gone. Five minutes later the sun was playing peek-a-boo with the clouds for our own private McAfee Knob party. Nobody gets McAfee Knob all to themselves like we did. 

The last push we both did was another 15 to a Pizza Hut and a Super 8. Quick pizza, shower, more pizza and lights out. Best Wife surprised herself by eating half a 12 incher, BBQ chicken flavor.

The last big push was all mine. Best Wife and Pappy 12 were tenting at Lost Spectacles Gap. Sometime in the middle of the night, I thought an animal was messing with my backpack. I quickly sat up and, in my stupor, turned to Best Wife's pack instead of mine and thought the animal was inside the tent. I instinctively started my hands toward the animal to give it The Big Push. As my hands were just about to make contact with the animal, I realized the animal was none other than Best Wife. The brain is saying you are just about to do something very bad that you will sincerely regret, but the two handed shove was under way. The instant the big shove was complete I muttered to myself in complete disbelief, Oh my goodness. 

Best Wife, with even greater disbelief, asked why I hit her and we both went back to sleep followed by a full explanation the next day. Hope I never pull that one again. 

Love this enormous Keffer Oak. It's a beaut. Also love this rock cairn. Passed dozens of them fairly close together. 

Hope to meet the big, tough hiker one day who dropped this stuffed gem. Funny what you find along the way. 














































Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment