Monday, May 8, 2017

Georgia On My Mind - May 8

Here we go. Georgia is awesome. Great trail treadway, huge old growth trees, unbelievable views, creeks and streams everywhere. We like Georgia.

We learned a thing or two about hot chocolate. As I was putting oatmeal and raisins in my bowl one morning, I grabbed a packet of hot chocolate to give the oatmeal a little boost. As I was tearing open the packet it was a little harder to open than normal. Not sure where we got the cocoa mix but the packers were old and gnarly. As I started to pour the powder in the bowl I realized two packets were stuck together and I was dumping both in my bowl. My lucky day. High octane breakfast.

We were so lucky to have my mom's cousin, John Taylor drive us from Richmond to Georgia. Nobody is a better story teller than John. He is willing to do anything for us including hiking a couple miles with us as we started out. What a guy.

Not sure if you can make out the hole in the hollow tree I'm standing next to, but it was big enough I could have crawled up in there and taken a nap.

Check out the picture of the tree tree with two trunks coming out of the ground. Not sure how that works.

The last picture is of two food bags hanging in a tree out of the reach of a bear. Hanging a bear bag is one of my favorite chores.

2 comments:

  1. What, no mention of Beau!?! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that the 'tree with two trunks' is a trail marking method used by Native Americans; the 'blaze' was later used by early explorers.

    ReplyDelete