Monday, April 10, 2017

Pennsylvania Rocks - April 10

Not only does Pennsylvania rock, Pennsylvania has lots of rocks. I mean, lots of rocks. But it's all good. I love it when a rock wall appears out of nowhere in the woods. I suppose a farmer 100 years ago built it to keep his cows separated from the neighbors cows. Fun to see cool old abandoned stuff out in the middle of the woods. 

We enjoyed the perfect Sunday yesterday. I called the local Mormon church Bishop and asked if a church member could give us a ride. A little while later Bob Buchta called me back to make a deal. On Sunday morning we were sitting on our backpacks on Hawk Mountain Rd at 9:00when Bob showed up right on time. He took us to the Pottsville Branch for an awesome 3 hours of church. Afterward, Brother Whitmer gave us a lift back to the trail. We had just enough time to knock down 7 miles to the Allentown shelter. 

Today we made 10 miles to the Bake Oven Knob Shelter. Took us all day to hike them because of Pennsylvania Rocks.  

Views are awesome enough on their own, but when some kind soul builds a stone bench to sit on to view the view, that's really livin'. 

Shauna had a real go of it navigating "Knife Edge". Hard to tell in the picture, but it's awfully steep on both sides of the narrow rock ridge. Really challenging, but really fun. 

Our food choices have been evolving for the good. For lunch I've been eating cheddar cheese and summer beef sausage on crackers for starters. Then a couple peanut butter and Nutella mini bagel sandwiches. A couple days ago I had the genius idea to put the beef and cheddar on the mini bagel. WOW POW!!! What an awesome combo. 

It is critical to get the proportion of meat to cheese to bread just right. The first time I only had maybe a 1/4" thick slice of beef stick. Not enough. Next time I upped it to 3/8". Better but still not enough. Today I went with 1/2" slices and hit paydirt. Can't wait for tomorrow so I can eat lunch again. Thanks to 31 years with Clark Construction I know the difference between 3/8" and 1/2". 

Check out these two in hammocks. Some folks like tents, others like hammocks. As they say around here, "hike your own hike".  

Today is the beginning of our fourth week and our clean water streak continues. I love being able to see water coming right out of Mother Earth and drinking my fill without any purification. 


















Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Hike your own hike- "everybody says it but nobody does it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paragraph about the thickness of the summer sausage is my favorite so far. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I missed it...when and where and how did you cross the Susquehanna? You're still lookin' like a million, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Checking in on the adventurers...looks like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete