Saturday, April 8, 2017

You've Got the Tent

Near the end of the day today the AT took Best Wife and I near Pinnacle Rock in PA. Since it was a short hike off the trail to the rock cliff to see the view I decided to take a look while Best Wife hiked on. As we were parting ways she kindly reminded me to not get too close to the edge. As I was enjoying her love for me and her great concern for my welfare she continued, "You've got the tent."  I figure I'm at least as valuable as our tent. 

Yesterday Craig from the Rock n Sole Hostel slack packed us to Port Clinton. (Yes, that is two slack packs in a row.) We saw his hostel when we were shifting gear around. Looked like a real clean place, except that we would be way past it by the end of the day. 

That day was cold and windy with some snow and sleet. As long as we were moving we were comfortable, but once we arrived at Port Clinton, PA and were starting to set up camp in the windy, damp town picnic pavilion, we about froze. Craig from the Rock n Sole Hostel brought our packs to us and dropped the hint that we could jump in his car and drive back to his hostel for the night. We said no thanks, the cold damp windy pavilion would work for us. He hadn't been gone 5 minutes when Best Wife reminded me she had no more clothes to put on and was getting colder by the minute. I couldn't call Craig fast enough. He was back picking us up in 5 minutes. 

After a fantastic chicken, string bean and potato dinner we settled into our sleeping quarters in a mint 1958 travel trailer. This thing was inspired by the travel trailer in the "I Love Lucy" camping episode and has been restored like you wouldn't believe. When inside you feel like you've stepped back in time. Even has a CD player with a box full of 1960s greatest hits CDs. 

Best Wife became so caught up in the oldie CDs that after we finished our 1:30 a.m. pee she asked if it would be okay to put the third oldies CD on while we went back to sleep. Iron Butterfly's In-a-gadda-da-vida never sounded so good. 

Check out the check dam diverting water off the trail. This one was doing an exceptional job this morning and was much appreciated. Trail maintainers are unsung heros for sure. 

This huge pile of rocks was started many years ago and keeps getting bigger. When we were hear 6 or 7 years ago it was not this big. Everybody that visits Pinnacle Rock to see the views can't help but add to the pile. I chucked one softball size rock up on top. Couldn't stop myself. 




















Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. We have enjoyed catching up on your adventures thus far! Looks like it has been a phenomenal trip to date. Enjoy the hike!

    ReplyDelete