Monday, June 12, 2017

Water Everywhere - June 10

Great hiking days lately. Lousy photo days lately. Having major IT problems with Google Photos. Photo storage is so simple for most folks, but not for me. 

Back to the great hiking days. The day we left Roan Mountain, we were in for a real treat - about 6 or 8 miles of balds and green fields up and down Jane's Bald, Little Hump Mt and Hump Mt. it was like the scene in the Sound of Music when Julie Andrews is singing in the Alps. Beautiful, beautiful setting. Wish I could access my pics. 

Lots of creeks and waterfalls the past couple days. Always great to stop for lunch along loud, fast running water. 

I've included one picture here of two thru hikers that we see every couple days. These kind of hikers are in our "hiker bubble". Pictured is Atlas and Natalie. Both are military folks and tons of fun to be with. 

A few nights ago I went from hero to goat in a split second. At home and on the trail when I'm getting in or out of bed to pee, it's always been a personal challenge of mine to do it without waking up Best Wife. I get bragging rights in the morning when she doesn't remember me getting up. 

We each have a zippered door on the sides of our Tarptent. As I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and since I could hear Best Wife's deep breathing, it was challenge time for me. 

Unzipping the screen is the first step. Got it. Still breathing deeply. Step two, rotate 90 degrees on my butt, take my headlamp out of my boot, and place my feet in my boots. No problem. Still deep asleep.

Step three, reach out to the fly and slowly unzip that. Good good. I've got this thing in the bag. Step four, push myself up to a squatting position on my feet but not standing until I can get out from underneath the fly. 

Well, I didn't take into account that I was facing slightly uphill. When I pushed myself to a squatting position I didn't quite make it. So just like the bruised ribs episode a couple months ago, I started on the ever so familiar backward downhill roll. This time instead of coming to rest on rocks and vegetation, I planted my back squarely on my wife's stomach. It's tough to be the goat at 2 a.m.  

The last photo is somebody's crazy idea to walk up and over a fence. Hikers can navigate it but cows can't. 

























Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment