Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Big Freeze

As long as it has been since Pappy 12 and Best Wife have posted you probably either forgot about us or figured we froze to death. Truth is my dated phone is less of a cold weather camper than I am. The thing crapped out on me every time the temps were less than balmy.

We did learn we can survive 20 degree nights fairly comfortably. I'm amazed at how warm I am in a 5 degree sleeping bag.

Since last time:

A 55 year old long distance hiker offered us weed at 8 a.m. on the 20 degree morning. First time for each of us (I mean being offered it, not smoking it).

Had two stream crossings that were deep enough from snow melt that Best Wife took off her hiking shoes and did the best she could. Pappy 12 handled her backpack.

After a 13 mile day, made it to PA Route 30 late Friday and hitched a ride to town for food resupply, wash clothes, and shower. Surprised it took 15 minutes on a fairly busy road to get a lift. Not like it was back in the day.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to be following you. Good luck and God bless you. Beware 55 year old men offering weed at 8am (oops, see I'm already too late!)

    I'll be going through the Smokies section 2nd week of April. I'll let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete